Sunday, 22 April 2012

My first Challenge!

I've never entered a challenge before so I thought I'd give it a go.  This card is for the Cheery Lynn Designs Challenge "Birthday".  I've used the following Cheery Lynn Dies.   English Tea Party Doily and it's matching Angle Wing. The Small Lace Butterfly with the included Angel Wing.  Two great tatted borders Dancing Doily Lace Border and Queen Anne's Lace Border and the cute little tatted motif from the center of the Dainty Dutch Deco Frame .

I added a bit of my own tatting, the border at the bottom of the card and the motif in the center of my doily die flower and a few flowers and butterflies here and there.  For the tatting shuttle I used a clear stamp from Impressions Obsession Butterflies and Blossoms,  and the background was stamped with Heartfelt Creations Shabby Chic Lace.  For the birthday tag I wanted the look of a tatted edge on an old linen handkerchief  so I used some sticky back canvas.

Thursday, 12 April 2012


To blog or not to blog, that is the question.

I've never blogged before so I'm just playing around to see if it's easy to use.  I'm thinking of using it to post pictures of crafts I'm playing with.  I bounce a round from craft to craft.  I have done  several forms of embroidery, a little tatting, a little crochet and lately I've been playing with  paper crafts, mostly card making. 

This picture is of Rascal and Scamp who are prairie dogs.  I had 5 prairie dogs as pets but after 9 years of good times the last of them passed away a year ago.  I still miss them. 

These are my attempts to  immortalize them in art :)
The first one was a counted cross stitch pattern and I stitched it with cotton floss.  Then I made a tatted frame to go around the oval and it was tacked onto the mat board before it was framed.

The next picture is my own design.  It is crewel embroidery stitched with wool onto linen twill.  I made it for a challenge for a course I took where I had to Incorporate the letter W into my design.  It's all about what is good for a prairie dog to eat.  I made my W with stitched dandelion leaves, oat hay and timothy hay.  And of course it needed a couple of prairie dogs.  I had never tried to stitch an animal without a pattern before.  I thought they came out pretty good for my first attempt.